I am not running the blockade.
I went to go see Jason Webley live yesterday, and as I was being bored this morning I thought: "Hmm... I bet Jessi would like this music." He's 100x more entertaining live, though, so sucks for you, I guess.
http://www.jasonwebley.com/
He got started as a street performer but doesn't like too much publicity, so nobody knows him outside of the Northwest. He's UBER-indie. :P
http://www.jasonwebley.com/
He got started as a street performer but doesn't like too much publicity, so nobody knows him outside of the Northwest. He's UBER-indie. :P



4 Comments:
Huzzah for music, indeed!
Despite all of my adventurings in rainy/dreary Portland, I did not hear tell of this fellow, but will be sure to investigate him (and his musical wiles) as soon as possible.
I, too, have been in the show-seeing mood of late, and just returned from a rather interesting lakeside spectacle (never fear, Jake--I will come back!) featuring a sort of famous Canadian act (I've no idea what sort of genre-related identifier to use, since Adam has suggested that "genre" is a grammatical hermaphrodite and thus out of the question) and the side project of Wolf Parade, another brilliant act out of Toronto.
I am not sure how much your preference for ambience/techno/jazz permeates your listening choices, but even if you have not listened to Wolf Parade, I would recommend the work of Sunset Rubdown (an interesting moniker, I must admit). Very rarely--perhaps only in the case of Sufjan!--is lyrical brilliance blended with extremely well-orchestrated musical sequences, and Sunset Rubdown has both the strange lyrics about snakes and mountains and ghosts and wreckingballs, and a full sonic realm wrought from keyboards, rhodes/organ-sy stuff, xylophones, various other percussive forms, guitars, and an accordian.
Of course, if you cannot stomach the leadman's voice (which has something of a Johanna-Newsom-esque flair for self-mythologizing, without the same timbre), none of this recommendation would make any sense at all.
We should have illegal/celebratory CD exchanges as soon as I procure the latest from the aforementioned!
Addendum to the Previous Description, Paragraph 3:
"...while managing to sound absolutely nothing like the Decemberists."
Dear Jimmy:
I just listened, and I LOVE I LOVE I LOVE. Not in the same sort of oh-dear-lord-the-cosmos-is-coming-to-pound-on-my-heart way that various other music engenders, but in a very real, comfortable, and soothingly familiar sort of way.
But perhaps this is only because I listened to the silly song about the cat in which the coffee percolator goes "wheeeeeeeee-ooooh."
Merci Mille Fois,
Jessi
ALSO: There is an incredible musicblog/ "audio blog aggregator" called THE HYPE MACHINE that searches, tabulates, compiles and creates a player for all of the mp3s for any given band posted to the dominant circuit of popular music blogs. Needless to say, I am impossibly glad to have stumbled upon it.
THE HYPE MACHINE
So you can listen to Sunset Rubdown! I like "Us Ones In Between" because it is the least noisy and the most balladsy, and has the most perplexingly incredible or perhaps incredibly perplexing lyrics ("...like a lover/ who speaks in tongues/ well he speaks in tongues/ I speak in tongues.") "I'll Believe in Anything You'll Believe in Anything" was a big hit for Wolf Parade. Others are lovely, but, as always, nothing could ever quite compare to a live show with only ten people (and a few drunkards gathered at the tavern) in the audience!
Post a Comment
<< Home