Saturday, May 06, 2006

Death of a Salesman

I have been thoroughly inspired by these:

Sennheiser HD202

1) The sound is crystal-clear.
2) They block out noise well.
3) and most impressively of all, they cost $20.

I got them on a recommendation by a friend who DJs for the local radio station. The station is sort of poor, so instead of getting the "industry standard" Sony 7506, they just bought these. They work admirably, apparently.

I have Sony's competitor in this price range, the MDR-V150, and it doesn't even come close. It has a muddy sound and the earcups don't fit all the way over your ears. The difference in sound quality is startling. You will seriously hear things you didn't hear before, like random background samples, etc. . Snares are tighter, cymbals are shinier, and attacks are crisper. In general, everything has this added depth. Of course, you wouldn't really notice these things unless you compared them side-by-side...

Bottom line: They're the best value ever. Buy them now.

(sidenote: don't buy the noise-cancelling ones. They raise the noise floor and suck at cancelling high-frequency noise. It's much more worth your money to buy standard 'phones with better insulation.)

And lastly, I have some jazz to recommend: Midnight Blue by guitarist Kenny Burrell.

-end sales pitch-

SO, I'm halfway through my APs. Looking back on the Spanish AP, it was actually sort of fun. At least when compared to Calc and English Lit. Exciting time of year, isn't it?

After Tuesday, I won't have to ever set foot in my Biology class again. My teacher hates all the seniors, even the ones who don't act up, and so he's kicking them all out of class for an independent study after the AP. I couldn't be more glad.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy Jin said...

Since I didn't know which college I was going to until after the AP sign-up deadline had passed, most of my AP tests this year will be utterly useless. The only thing that's motivating me to get good scores on them are the fact that I blew $80+ on each one. :P

5/07/2006 9:42 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Jin said...

You guys should make banners, too, since you all have the photos.

and... HOLY SHIT ANDREI!!!

5/07/2006 10:00 AM  
Blogger goodbye, goodbye said...

AP-Lamenters, I have a question:

Why is it necessary to pre-register the scores in order to have them accepted by one's college? Is this a Princeton/Ivy-specific policy?

I had my scores sent (10th/11th grade scores, mind you) to the top four colleges on my list in mid-January, and sort of assumed that I could just send these recent scores, given that they are good, which they shan't be, to College X in the summer.

Does it need to be marked on the day of the test? Again, I thought the only thing that one would be sacrificing is free reporting v. reporting at something like $25-a-go.

Oh god, Biology in -3 hours.

5/08/2006 1:14 AM  
Blogger goodbye, goodbye said...

Goddamn you three and your Joyce Carol Oates-loving opportunities! Send her a postcard for me?

P.S.: Jake, take the class! Andres has already been fully seduced by the powers of fearsome criticism and eloquent prose, and Andrei is a rouge Dickens-turned-social-and-political theorists, but you are a tribune of Camp Adam, and could use a bit of conversion !!!

5/08/2006 3:11 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Jin said...

Nah, Econometrics is a course requirement for almost every Economics major in the country--including the one at Princeton, probably.

I don't think I'll skip ahead. I took a look at one of Swarthmore professors' "intro to econ" class finals, and it covered the stuff we did in AP Macro/Micro but also went much more in depth. Even if I do know all the stuff already, I feel like re-taking the course would allow me to explore relevant topics further (on my own time, or with the professor--if the intro class is really that easy).

5/09/2006 4:09 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Jin said...

Man, I haven't ever met a single person who actually liked econometrics. That class is the devil.

5/09/2006 8:16 PM  
Blogger goodbye, goodbye said...

This sounds exciting. I think I'll become an economist!

5/10/2006 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home