Friday, December 23, 2005

A Question!

Would anyone moderately well-versed in anthropology, sociology, or the history of the American educational system and the division of studies into "humanities", "sciences", and "social sciences" care to enlighten me as to where anthropology fits on that vast and confusing spectrum? I am quite taken with ethnomusicological studies these past months, but I worry sometimes that such things might have dangerous implications. However, upon further thought, most unbridled passions (and I do have a tendancy to collect information and piles and piles of notes, solely because it makes me ungodly excited) are probably dangerous.

I have been wading through Smithsonian Folkways' catalogue of American and world music, and have been contemplating a good deal of the work that I pursued as a part of my OSU music course, and the topic is still incredibly vast and fascinating.

Does anyone remember what Professor Garb said about Franz Boas and immigration studies?
My memory from those weeks is rather vague. But I think I want a discussion on anthropology.

And! What is this "Pat Roberts Intelligence Scholars Program" sponsored by the CIA?
The BBC has condemned it. Click below to see the BBC engage in condemnation:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/4603271.stm

Ah, dear, I must learn to post things of greater interest to the public at large.
I am sure that the history of 19th-century French anthropology, like my post on the history of literary criticism and schools of aesthetic thought from Thanksgiving break, is somehow less than relevant.

Love,
Jessi.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

jessi, your prose is remarkably concise here. is this a conscious change or are you in a hurry?

12/23/2005 12:50 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Jin said...

Jake, you seem to think a lot of things are worthless. First the entire field of anthropology, now the CIA. What next? :P

12/23/2005 5:10 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Jin said...

Well, you could say some other top government entities have been a failure too, buuuut...

12/23/2005 8:13 PM  
Blogger goodbye, goodbye said...

Send Us Bright One Light One Horhorn, Quickening and Wombfruit!

Ah, dear me, loves, I fear that any conscious admittance of my own abilities to control the stream of consciousness, and to erect small sailing ships, either metaphorical or those tarred-and-pitched with the stuff of more simplified rhyme, might hold me responsible for such unsightly and unappealing prose in all future times! But, in just response--oui, I am guilty of conscious concision. Typing faster (or at least in some quicker approximation of this reeling mind) would lend nothing in terms of clarity or coherency. And as for coherency, is it really all the better? I find myself profoundly sad that my shorter, expedient posts draw more discussion and attention than the ones that are more linguistically thrilling to construct. Alas, such must be the burden of crossing ideas over into a public form--in this proverbial agora, most things must be stripped of greater aesthetic glory in pursuit of the solid things (IDEAS and what-have-you!) that seem to reside in the middle of the tangled yarnball of words.

I would like terribly much to be an anthropologist, and I shan't apologize profusely, even if my somewhat-suppressed intentions were rendered blantantly transparent in the windowglass-lucid mein of this post. Really and truly--could you not see anything more apt than your own true Jessi vanishing off into the Appalachians with her silly old banjo and a ready supply of Elizabethan English, sending 620+ page volumes of anachronistic prose lore and inscrutable poetry for the Smithsonian to translate at odd intervals? I could marry a troubador and live as if the Industrial Revolution had never occured, and my only nod to the modern world would be that my children would all be named (in descending order) "Adam Higuera", "Maria," and "John Keats."

Glory be to the thrills of unrestrained keyboard--you see, I have just discovered the singular computer in the house that maintains a will with wires, and still has internet on the ready, so this time, I cannot conceal my joy in constained prose.

Jake--I miss your condemnations!
Amy Lee--You of all TASPers should not be congratulating me on such a sorry linguistic feat!
Adam--I think I prefer the contentious Mr. Higuera!
Doug--Will you hire me to your board of Smithsonian overlords with the full knowledge that my higher committment to the anthropological arts/sciences is tied to a plan for an indigenous marriage?
David--I almost telephoned you, but then I grew afraid!
Andrei--You are Russian.
Jimmy--Letters filled with love-lorn parallels shall be coming your way, because there is nothing quite like artful cross-country commiseration! And your photograph is quite haunting. I think that I shall hang you on my wall next to portraits of Joyce, Jefferson Davis, etc., and try to pass you off for a Dead & Brilliant Ancestor. ALSO. THE PHOTOGRAPHS. I DIED TWENTY-EIGHT-AND-ONE-HALF-TIMES, and then proceeded to cry for some hours! I think I should use the one of myself looking so-very Hollywood, with my hands all over the arch, for a fetching "senior photo."

Oh, dear gods, do you see how much that last post restrained me?

12/24/2005 12:12 PM  
Blogger goodbye, goodbye said...

There are places for you, Andrei, and most of them are below the earth's crust in one of many mythological world systems.

Care to restate that one?

Cheers,
Jessi.

Post-Script:
Merry Christmas!

12/25/2005 11:42 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Jin said...

ROFL, you two.

12/25/2005 2:26 PM  
Blogger goodbye, goodbye said...

Andrei,

Forgiveness is something that I can consider. Just remember: I come from a background of high-noon playground bullying while singing "Jesus Loves Me" to the tune of swinging fists, so I am easy to cower and cringe and grow sulky and take offense.

Never fear, dear Andrei.
I probably should just laugh all of this off and thank you for the opportunity for allowing me to feel so triumphantly witty.

We can work on improving your syntax so that your words exude a kinder aura!

But, oh dear God, how you vexed me during the Clay election!

With Much Hatred,
Jessi

Post-Script:
Jimmy, it is always lovely to have someone laughing, silently as the case may be, while two people battle and fume and grovel. Bravo, Washington State!

12/26/2005 6:24 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Jin said...

I was laughing at the astounding wittiness that both of you exuded over the course of your exchanges!

12/26/2005 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home