Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The last first day of school

I think I'm one of the last to go back to school. I try not to bitch too much, but, man, do I really hate school right now.

1st period: Band. Nothing special here. Only boring.

2nd period: Economics. Fullest class of the year with about 38 people. Waaay too many people here who I know are going to fail out--the teacher is one of the tougher ones. By some scheduling conflict, I got stuck into this class as a T.A., but the teacher said that it was a mistake.

3rd period: Spanish. Smallest class of the year. 16 people. Meh. Don't have much to say about this class besides that my teacher suspects that my sister has a crush on her son, because she overhears them talking on the phone a lot. Last year when I asked my sister about this, she replied: "What? I never talk to Skyler..." (They're in the same grade and have similar classes)

4th period: English. My teacher starts us off by going outside and giving fake libations with the same Blueberry Blackberry juice we used to drink at TASP (by pouring it onto the grass...). Then she launches into a 30-minute talk about The Odyssey. Argh. I couldn't stand it. This is when I start getting a headache. :P

5th period: Calculus. I walked into the class and instantly felt better because most of my good friends were there--with the same teacher who I got to know pretty well last year. Good times.

6th period: So when I first got my schedule handed to me this morning, I noticed that the name of my Biology teacher changed from "Smith" (who I know very well) to "Bassett" (who is supposed to be a better teacher, but who I don't know squat about). Well. After not listening to seating instructions and getting yelled at for sitting at a table with 3 people crammed into it already, I watch Ms. Smith come in and tell us in a cracking voice that she's just been diagnosed with breast cancer. This is definitely the low point of the day. First of all, I knew her sort of like a close neighbor because her daughter used to take oboe lessons with the same teacher I had, so I used to talk with her a lot. So the cancer news was really, really... sad? Don't know how to put it, but it was bad. Then after that, Mr. Bassett starts into the lesson and just gets really pissed, because he was notified of his taking over of her class only a week ago. So he launches into functional groups and quizzes us on organic molecules, of which I have no idea. I have a feeling this class is going to kick my ass this year.

Argh. I think it would've seemed better had I not gone to TASP. Whatever. I visited my old English teacher today, and she asks me how St. Louis was. I reply that it's a gigantic craphole, and then she tells me that she went to college there and loved it. I like seeing my teachers again sort of.

When other people ask me what I did over the summer, it's just like how Sarah said it was like--I was sort of at a loss for words, heh.

...I passed a group of newly-turned-Juniors in the parking lot today fooling around in a car, trying to act cool, squealing like an entire pigpen, all the while running into a guy on a bicycle, knocking him over and screwing up his bike. Thankfully they only glanced him, but what a freaking sight to behold...

Yeah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home