Wednesday, June 21, 2006

György Ligeti

died ten days ago

the first time i saw this i jumped out of my seat in shock. turn the volume up.

if you don't know who ligeti is, he's the composer of this piece, probably most famous for being used in kubrick's 2001: a space odyssey.

ligeti quoted: "I am in a prison: one wall is the avant-garde, the other wall is the past, and I want to escape."

a critic quoted: "the Beethoven of the last fifty years, maybe even the granddaddy of every unoriginal musical idea I have ever had."

(ps: a great deal of his music utilizes actual instruments)

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

oh and the PIECE isnt famous for being in 2001: ligeti is.

the pieces in 2001 did not use metronomes, as far as i know, but were rather, extremely creepy and unidentifiable.

6/21/2006 8:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh good, im glad otherpeople are up

6/22/2006 3:02 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Jin said...

Adam that was brilliant

6/22/2006 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home