Riots
Oh, and by the way. I was thinking back to our pubspeaks/huge arguments in light of all this French rioting. You see guys, no matter what, discriminating policies never work out for the best. So much for promotion of national unity.
I'm not defending their actions, but riots don't just happen because of a couple angry people. Obviously something in the fabric of their policies pissed enough people off that now something has to be done.
I'm not defending their actions, but riots don't just happen because of a couple angry people. Obviously something in the fabric of their policies pissed enough people off that now something has to be done.



11 Comments:
oh Andrei, did we not learn enough about rioting at TASP? tsk tsk. Riots are results of problems in the system. Thats my word, and I'm sticking to it.
Of course, people should be brought to trial and held responsible for their actions regardless, but this should be a process of justice, not an assumption of guilt based on nationality.
James, I love you. *sigh* I feel like I'm back in the communal lounge, such a warm fuzziness inside. Jakey, where are you? I wanna hear your angle.
p.s.
According to CNN, the only death was a 68 year old man who died as consequence of his building being set on fire. It was not a brutal murder, but the result of arson. I saw nothing about the old lady on CNN, but if it did happen, she apparently did not die, and that seems unlikely if what you said did indeed occur.
Firstly, let me say that I am not a communist. :P I do feel like there needs to be another viewpoint, here, though.
I wouldn't go as far as to blame the socialist system for what happened. There are a good many other socialist countries out there who don't have rioters going around setting old ladies on fire, overturning buses, or throwing nail-filled improvised explosive devices at police. Immigration? Perhaps, I don't know, I haven't read enough. Socialism? No. Let's not forget that the leftward party in France, the Socialist Party, is currently the opposition, not ruling party. So would having them in power make things a lot worse?
America is a capitalist country. Let's not forget that we had riots too. We don't have an "oh-so-generous socialist system" that gives them no incentive to find work. The people who were involved in those riots probably had jobs. The fact of the matter is that people get pissed off no matter what the system, for whatever reason they have to get pissed off. It's the government's job to also take care of those problems (in this case I think it's race or religion or whatever) as well and to not turn a blind eye.
And don't confuse my stance with rioter sympathy. Of course what they're doing is wrong and horrible. I think everyone is in agreement on that. I just don't think the Socialist system has much to do with the cause. And as I said earlier, I don't necessarily disagree with the other points brought up about what caused this and what to do about it.
That's my two cents.
"america has been doing that for years b/c we don't think american culture is superior and the shit. france could learn a lesson in humility from the u.s."
I agree with Andrei on this. America was founded in the last 200 or so years and immediately we had a mix of race, religion, and some other crap. We've had this mixed-up mentality and whatnot since the beginning of our nation, even if it was a bunch of white guys at first. France has been... well, French in all ways for as long as I can remember. When you've been like that for so long it's a little bit more difficult to just "accept" a radically new way.
Andrei! "hither?" my gosh, we are SO TELLURIDE. hahaha
and jimmy, you are such a great middle ground. :o)
Anyway, I'm so glad this got such an intense reasction. Its been my entertainment of the night, for sure.
"I agree. Those countries did not let in a number of immigrants so out of proportion to its original population (Muslims are now about 10% of the French population) that the situation has grown dangerously unsustainable."
Exactly my point: so it was the immigration, not the Socialist system.
"However, remember that white people brought most of those black people here, against their will. We quite DEFINETALY have a responsibility to them."
Reparations for blacks a la Dave Chapelle!
Yeah dude, I've totally got to stop. :P
My productivity has gone down to zero. Back to essay writing, bitches!
And just when I was scared that your sense of humor had evaporated. No joke, I was just looking through archives... and I believe we have officially managed to pull off the MOST COMMENTED post. WOOHOOO. "I done good, I done real good"
:o)
Adam, you are also my hero, I hope you know. :o)
Oh btw Adam, I've been talking to a lot of people about pre-marital sex (morals vs general culture), also about drugs, and everytime someone tries to say "ya, well only freaks who could never get it are against it" I mention this guy I once knew who had a beautiful girlfriend, but was a good kid. Sigh. You are an inspiration to as all.
That was COMPLETELY off topic. But, then again, it was my topic. Damn. This post was a beauty, but I think this is it. "Alas" (just for you James, I put this to an end.
HAHAHAH JUST LIKE OLD TIMES
Post a Comment
<< Home