La Gesso en Columbo!
Salutations, My Noble Cast & Crew!
I hope that you all are faring well and beautifully in your respective geographic regions--
I feel so very isolated in this center city, although the impending Midwestern TASP Reunion
should work to assuange all feelings of loneliness and spiritual isolation. I bring news which might merit a spare huzzah or at least will serve to tie up all loose ends that I have been feeling. My paper--Yes, the long-awaited last-minute fourteen-page diatribe on The Village and Beat-Bohemian lore!--arrived in the mail (in an eloquently addressed envelope--thank-ye kindly, Josh!) with something quite unheard of dotting the pages: laudatory remarks! Indeed, I seem to have warmed the heart of our lovely Professor Maggie in the end. That, or the depth of my analysis finally caught up to the (unintentional!) showiness of my prose. I am immensely happy, because her kind remarks make me feel as if my time spent at Olin with citiescitiescities was not so much of a shattering. And I really do miss the type of anxiety that drove our night-before-the-deadline Paper-a-Thons--it was of a pure, impassioned and collective form that these solitary nights of fretting cannot afford.
ARE YOU ALL ALIVE AND WELL, OUT ACROSS THE WORLD?
Everyone should come to visit, and soon.
I must now work to sustain my glee/confusion for Michigan...
Sarah, Emily, David, are any of you worried that the sudden &
long-awaited resurgence of all things Danforth will be dangerous
to our unprepared psyches? Lordie me. Mayhap I will bring my
Pluntz/Teaford and make up for all of that neglect in July.
I love you all immensely, and shall be sending boxes & packages
and charming, ill-formed things in the mail as soon as (and more likely,
during) this COLLEGE RUSH has subsided into something that surely
looks like decadence & bliss.
And remind me to post photographs of my mother's
beloved concentric circle rug.
Your Craziest,
Gesso
Post-Script: Ohdear. Ohdear. Lest I admit my fallacy.
I kindofsortof really did make another album of music and banjo-ing and cheesegrater voice
this weekend, and if it or any cheerful and well-intentioned tunes would be of interest to one-or-the-gang, send me word, and I shall try to do my self-denigrating best to deliver.
Post-Script II: Ohio really is moderately lovely and nostalgia-inducing in the autumn time--Alas, there is no time to dress up in pioneer regalia and to parade amidst those overheavy cornstalks!
Post-Script III: I need something beautiful and true that will change my life--books, music, words. I have exhausted my shelves and head and want some human spark between myself and the random fate of selection in the library. Recommendez-vous?
I hope that you all are faring well and beautifully in your respective geographic regions--
I feel so very isolated in this center city, although the impending Midwestern TASP Reunion
should work to assuange all feelings of loneliness and spiritual isolation. I bring news which might merit a spare huzzah or at least will serve to tie up all loose ends that I have been feeling. My paper--Yes, the long-awaited last-minute fourteen-page diatribe on The Village and Beat-Bohemian lore!--arrived in the mail (in an eloquently addressed envelope--thank-ye kindly, Josh!) with something quite unheard of dotting the pages: laudatory remarks! Indeed, I seem to have warmed the heart of our lovely Professor Maggie in the end. That, or the depth of my analysis finally caught up to the (unintentional!) showiness of my prose. I am immensely happy, because her kind remarks make me feel as if my time spent at Olin with citiescitiescities was not so much of a shattering. And I really do miss the type of anxiety that drove our night-before-the-deadline Paper-a-Thons--it was of a pure, impassioned and collective form that these solitary nights of fretting cannot afford.
ARE YOU ALL ALIVE AND WELL, OUT ACROSS THE WORLD?
Everyone should come to visit, and soon.
I must now work to sustain my glee/confusion for Michigan...
Sarah, Emily, David, are any of you worried that the sudden &
long-awaited resurgence of all things Danforth will be dangerous
to our unprepared psyches? Lordie me. Mayhap I will bring my
Pluntz/Teaford and make up for all of that neglect in July.
I love you all immensely, and shall be sending boxes & packages
and charming, ill-formed things in the mail as soon as (and more likely,
during) this COLLEGE RUSH has subsided into something that surely
looks like decadence & bliss.
And remind me to post photographs of my mother's
beloved concentric circle rug.
Your Craziest,
Gesso
Post-Script: Ohdear. Ohdear. Lest I admit my fallacy.
I kindofsortof really did make another album of music and banjo-ing and cheesegrater voice
this weekend, and if it or any cheerful and well-intentioned tunes would be of interest to one-or-the-gang, send me word, and I shall try to do my self-denigrating best to deliver.
Post-Script II: Ohio really is moderately lovely and nostalgia-inducing in the autumn time--Alas, there is no time to dress up in pioneer regalia and to parade amidst those overheavy cornstalks!
Post-Script III: I need something beautiful and true that will change my life--books, music, words. I have exhausted my shelves and head and want some human spark between myself and the random fate of selection in the library. Recommendez-vous?



2 Comments:
Architecture in Helsinki's "In Case We Die" album will cheer you right up, my dear. If that doesn't work, try some New Pornographers.
They are in line with the kind of sound that I think you like, and that I share your enthusiasm for.
If still, you find your mind painfully devoid of inspiration, you might try reading Siddhartha, which, if nothing else, is a fun little thing to think about.
Also, I read "Cartucho" by Nellie Campobello for my Spanish Lit. class, I know that many translations exist, and it was amazingly well written, so the translations might be decent.
I would love a copy of both of your cd's, if thats at all doable. Maybe you could email the files if u have them on PC?
Hope all is well. :o) Enjoy your reunion.
DID SOMEONE SAY RUFUS WAINWRIGHT? i worship the ground he walks on. and i'm seeing him in november. ahh! rufus! rufus!
okay, i'm calm now.
for books, why not try some shakespeare? he always perks me right up. or robertson davies' deptford trilogy is beautiful, rich, and long. if you read and liked howard's end, check out the new zadie smith, on beauty, which is superlative. doctorow's new book is also quite good. i also love ann lamott's book bird by bird. and read some carver, goddamn it.
Post a Comment
<< Home