Thursday, October 06, 2005

A Great Barrage of Ques-ti-ons!

O TASPers!

I bring you bleary-eyed salutations from these dreadfully small hours of the morning,
and buckets full of ill-formed and ill-worded questions.

I have spent these last (and harrowing weeks!) in the throes of indecision, because the great loves of my poor aching heart are notably twofold--Swarthmore & Reed!--and I want so strongly to apply Early Decision, but feel that such a thing may not be salient or possible because of my strange maximizing tendencies and unintentional proclivity for scholastic adultery.

And then, the Second Issue bares it fangs and hisses! I am engaged in an on-going and quite public (for those of you unfortunate enough to receive my biting-and-or-tear-induced telephone calls) with my darling parents, who seem to want to prevent me from visiting any more Far Away Schools on any counts. Just yesterday, I came into the understanding that my parents perhaps would have been willing to let me visit one of my most-lovely schools instead of this wonderful and impending voyage to Michigan, and such knowledge torments me immensely. I spent the bulk of my afternoon frantically phoning colleges (and denying the existence of the three++ tests I must take today in preparation for said Midwestern sojourn, happening this evening, though I shall be in no fit shape to leave!) in attempts to ascertain whether or not it truly is wise to visit, attend classes and have an overnight stay before knowledge of my acceptance/rejection. Being the impractical, illogical and highly irrational moneyspender that I am, I am quite enamored of the idea of going back to Swat and flying out to Portland. I convinced my mother to let me accost Swarthmore about the possibilities of a visit on the 20th-21st-22nd, but DAMN YE ALL, MINORITY REBELS AND DISCOVERERS-OF-QUAKER-GOODNESS, the strings are all tied up in preparation for your arrival, and they do not offer interviews on that Friday, or overnights on the Thursday, and unless I know someone on campus (do former TASPers embroiled in the mysterious arts of Discovery Weekend count? Is it an overnight type of event? Where do they keep you?) or in the area, I would have nowhere but a silly hotel to stay. Oh, these grand decisions!
The possibility then arises of scheduling for rapid air transport to Oregon on 21 October...
I think I shall die. Die. Die absolutely.
No more time for Faulkner.

Do any of you have any heartwarming (or crushing) advice on the visiting predicament?
Stories or tales of how-to-get-organized and to not-be-so-fearful and scattered?
I would lovelove them, even if I shan't be able to check Ye Olde Blog for some days.

I also have a few inquiries about the College Board, because the people that they hire to
operate their phonelines are both incoherent and largely without minds.
CollegeBoardLady said that we do NOT need to update our score report recepients/
re-send scores to schools which have already been sent them, because those schools
will, auspiciously, be receiving updates. The woman at Reed begged the contrary.
What am I to do, if Early Action/Decision is due in by 01 November, and scores from
that hellhole of all objectivism take 3-5 weeks to ship? Have all of you had your scores sent already? And what of AP scores? These are just optional, and should be submitted after acceptance (oh! see her hope?), correct?

Forgive me for my random bursts of absolute ignorance--for some odd and disconcerting
reason, I thought that I knew far, far more about this process than I really seem to.
I must try to not be so terrified about so many things,
and really should sort through all of those stacks of paper
and half-finished essays on my floor. I should produce something glowing & brilliant,
but, alas, I am too busy lamenting my lack of sleep, chronic inability to do work,
and fall from intellectual glory. Just like Pruitt-Igoe.

I must now run to do impossible things in the two-hour span of time left
until the morrow! Michigan is tomorrow, and you will have to forgive me if
I do not come bearing as many gifts as I had intended, because I have not had
one second of time for street-browsing or many-things-other-than-homemade.

Terrible times! We shall overcome!
I hope that you all are wonderful and I am
trying so hard to forget all about TASP and to
keep these good (& distracting!) things from my mind.

Bound in Neo-Platonism and Faux-Epic Verse,
Your Silly Friend Jessi.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy Jin said...

If $9 isn't an issue and if you're in doubt of your SAT scores having been sent or not, then I guess you should just send them again anyway just to be sure.

And if you want to visit Reed, stay with us! If you come as close as Portland and don't visit then I will never forgive you. :P

It's a two-hour drive to Portland from here. Although I'm not planning on applying there, I do want to see that oft-spoke-of nuclear reactor they have.

10/06/2005 7:27 AM  
Blogger Tiya said...

I fear I must judge you as silly, silly girl if you apply early decision to a school you don't COMPLETELY prefer above the rest. Really, ED should be somehting that you only do when that school is the north star in your college sky.
I'd say, hold off my friend, and be a regular admit. You can send them in as early as you'd like! (Unless its EArly Action ofcourse)

I want that CD!! both of them actually

10/06/2005 5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home