Saturday, September 09, 2006

In the Name of Nunn!

Dear TASP Loves Scattered All Over This Globe,

Excuse me for being so passe if this is already common knowledge, but TELLURIDE HAS TAKEN THIS WEEK'S NEW YORKER BY STORM. Mine did not arrive in the mail until today, and when I flipped with budding excitement to see which articles rendered the issue the "Education Issue" I saw that a significant chunk of the middle of the magazine is dedicated to a single question--"How Progressive is Deep Springs College?"

The article deals one-third with the concept of "progressive" educational strongholds in America, one-third with the genius of our L.L., and the rest is dedicated, perhaps not surprisingly, to questions of the role of education in gendered society, and to decoding Nunn's views on the re-"feminization" of men through the holistic experience that is (was?) Deep Springs.

Quoth a Deep Springs senior, regarding the contentious issue of introducing co-education at Deep Springs:

" ' ... I don't see the need to ruin something that is unique and uniquely possible here in an all-male environment...It is just wonderful to spend two years with just guys. It allows for a kind of care and emotional openness that you might not have otherwise. You can feel a kind of love for a man, a brother. The masculine is the enframed--as Heidegger would say--the enframed referent of cowboying. But there's very much a feminine, female component of husbandry. You're living with the earth. All the cattle are women...' "

I realize that this far out from those fond and fast-fading memories of TASP, our pulses may no longer be stirred by our close connexion to the always-mysterious Association. But the rambling paragraphs of Nunnish aphorisms were still enough to court my sluggish blood back to some semblance of the frenetic glee that haunted us in those just-post-TASP days.

May you all be well in this emerging & unformed world--I am sending all of my love and wishes for your enlightenment/great fiscal success/rise to great social, political, or artistic prestige/development into more compassionate and socially conscious individuals/ whatever you might desire.

Affectionately Yours,
Jessi

4 Comments:

Blogger Tiya said...

Thanks Jessi, I would have never known otherwise.

I DO miss TASP. It hurts me so that none of you guys are here. FOUR people from Cornell are. I met two of them today.

I miss familiar faces. And although i am the first to admit I am not TASPs biggest fan nor was I the most integrated person in the bunch I cannot think of 17 people I would rather experience my education with. I truly do wish I could see you all right now... just walk down our outrageous hall into our puzzle-filled common room. :o)

Some corny TASP-sickness for you.

Lots of lovin,

Intiya

9/10/2006 6:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

seriously, i love you guys, and as time passes, and the memory of tasp becomes increasingly idealized, i start to realize just how great all of you are. maybe i'm an optimist, but i like to go into situations expecting that i will like everyone, and that anyone could be the one to change my life, and yet i dont think that has happened to me since tasp...just a thought...

9/11/2006 7:17 AM  
Blogger goodbye, goodbye said...

And you will do it again, fool!

9/11/2006 11:27 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Jin said...

My green WashU T-shirt has been a pretty good TASP conversation starter. I was wearing it yesterday when I ran into a professor of the philosophy department at orchestra rehearsal yesterday. I didn't expect him to know what Telluride was, but he immediately brought up the New Yorker article and we had a interesting exchange about the "idiosyncratic" nature of the Association. A good many students here know of TASP as well, too--mostly those who applied but didn't get in.

9/12/2006 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home