Saturday, November 26, 2005

Criticism: Lévi-Strauss, Derrida, & Dear Old Marxie!

My Dearest Scattered Erstwhile Missourians,

Greetings from the hollowed-out bowl (or rind, perhaps far more aptly) that is the sorrow middle of this rapidly dissolving week-end. I hope and wish with all fervency of soul that all is well out across the oblivion of space/anxiety/various forms of cable & wire that connects our lives, and I am bringing to that illusive collective "we" a rather simple question which shan't be phrased until I attempt to rend it so, and which is vexing in all possible ways. Something in me whispers that this will hearken back to many of the fundamental abstraction v. concrete reality discussion that bubbled & steamed & hissed its way under several of our PubSpeaks discussions and loftier (or perhaps not lofty at all! Shame on my loose semantics, aye?) midnight ++ reelings.

So let me give it one frail attempt:

I have been reading a rather strange Philip Roth novel stolen (quite inadvertently! Sort of!) from the local library, which has been lingering on my shelf between the untouched American History tomes and the Ancient Greeks and the pop culture criticism works for that silly (and by that I mean illustrious!) OSU course. I believe that I have some gnawing tendency to canonize even when I don't understand anything of the breadth or nature of the canon, so I had naturally prioritized all of those unread shelved darlings in my mind, and Camus and Thoreau (despite Adam & Jake's ardent warnings!) and Achebe and the like were lined up beforehand. But I don't like to adhere to order, and the workings of my mind make far less sense than I would like to assert the effort to investigate, so I selected the Roth, and have been endlessly perplexed ever since.

To cut to the quick of things--the Roth novel centers on the University of Iowa/ U. Chicago literary scene and the life of professors of English at midcentury. And several cryptic but jarring debates between critical schools have come up in Roth's accounts of faculty meanings. I have swooned a bit to think that I am without a doubt greatly enamored of the English language and that whole brimming canon (whatever it may be) of books and texts and aesthetic folderol--

But I know absolutely nothing of literary criticism.
How much value, do you think, should one give to established schools of thought?
And I suppose that this doesn't just apply to aesthetics, if we consider criticism to be such.
It's philosophy, too, and theology.
I have run into a good deal of these schools (especially Derrida, in my work on horror vacui
during that horrible week during the summer), and have been charmed by the rather complex taxonomy and the implicit horrors of mapping out the lines between Deconstruction and the Hermeneutic School (egad!?) and Pragmatism and Whatever-in-Hades Bloom in doing over at Amy Lee University--but does it boil down to anything?
Forgive me if I seem aghast; I only attempt to question because it confuses me greatly.
Who reads all of this criticism, and furthermore, who can chart it all, save the critics themselves? I'd read some of Terry Eagleton before (apparently a very well established Marxist critic) for a thesis on the function of the tragic for 9th Grade Humanities, and like most moderately literate kids who get their kicks adverbially, have devoured all of the criticism at the end of the Norton Critical Edition and know Bloom & Joyce Carol Oates and the like.

But how can one ever know all of it?
And in the end, building from that tabula rosa of ignorance, does one really gain
anything? If all of those schools of thought exist in perfect binary opposition--like the struggle between the empiricists and rationalists, yes?--isn't everything negated by the fact that all possibilities are presented?

Q: What is the purpose of attempting to pin or pull a purpose from literature?
QII: Why must we write?

This is all quite mad.

And pleaseplease, excuse me for being so plodding and unintelligible with all of this,
or for promising something and delivering only some well-nigh inscrutable obfuscation
of four days plus of convulted thought. I would just be incredibly curious to see what sort
of debate or advice or opinions, if any, that this sparks.

And the Michigan TASPers (Hello, Hello! I know that you are as sneaky and largely obsessive as I!) have taught me a good word: reification!, which seems to fit in well with my droll list of pet words used only to batter/confound bystanders or to help in the construction of largely spineless aesthetic frameworks. A bit like our love for "rectifying" things, yesyes?


Give me answers, loves!
Or questions, at least, because I am feeling so very lost in all of this.
Perhaps engineering is the solution to everything.
And I do not kid, either.

With Earnestness (as always) and a Bit Too Much Stolen Time,
The Midwestern Moralist / Misdirected Scrivener.

11 Comments:

Blogger Tiya said...

Jessi, Jessi. I consider myself rather intelligent and YET... I do not understand your language for the life of me. I try, I do, but I cannot find the effort to discern what it is you are saying.
I don't mean to be mean at all, but your posts take SO long to get through! Anyway...

We actually have been having this discussion of the "cannon" in my English and Spanish lit classes. Personally, I am not a defnder of rediculous literature, and I think classics should be taught and focused on, etc. BUT in the end, on an intrapersonal level, a book comes down to what it meant to the reader, and that doesn't have to be amazing literature. Soooo, while one should appreciate the classics/cannon/pompous-verbose-verbiage stuff, that shouldn't be all you expose yourself to, because you never know what no-name hippie's stream of concsiousness may change your life.
So for me, I love Achebe, Remarque, Hawthorne, etc. in school, but I try to read other random junk on my free time, and I like how that works out.

I don't know if thats the kind of response you were looking for, but there we go. :o)

PS, I still want to get a hold of your music!! so ppleeeeaaaase, either get it up online somewhere or send me a cd!

11/26/2005 6:41 PM  
Blogger goodbye, goodbye said...

Ohgodohgod, Intiya!
I thought that I was being brief and clear! Alaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!
Every time that I attempt to post I end up feeling like a sickening failure at the most fundamental human skill. Languageis tricky, yes? But I guess this is a choice I make. Maybe a terrible one.
Perhaps I shall delete this.

Or. Let me work harder.
MAYBE I WILL delete this.

But I agree with you--there is a requisite amount of gravity one must give to the canon, but the same fundamental human truths can be pulled from so many places, and sometimes (and most always, in society) the most important & jarring things come from the rejected outskirts.

And as for the music, I still promise you, I will send it as soon as I gain enough confidence in what I am doing to have more than two songs that are nice-sounding! I am supposed to go back to record things over the winter break. And maybemaybe you will find something moderately tolerable sounding in your mailbox by then! Keep your hopes up!

11/26/2005 6:46 PM  
Blogger Tiya said...

Perhaps I shall delete this.

Or. Let me work harder.
MAYBE I WILL delete this.

I'm so proud of you! hehe
Good job.

lets call this... "mission: get gesso de-intellectualized"
hahaha, ya like that butchering of the english language?

11/26/2005 6:49 PM  
Blogger goodbye, goodbye said...

I thought that I would hear that from you, Adam. So I thank you for that.

Oh, what these explications of Ice Cube lyrics are teaching me...

11/27/2005 8:22 AM  
Blogger Tiya said...

"You can do it, put your back into it"
-from the inspirational mind of Ice Cube

I think he speaks to all of us with these words of encouragement. Everytime I end up being degraded in the backseat of a car on hydraulics, these words come to mind and I smile and realize, yes "I can do it put" if only, he'd put his "back into it".

11/27/2005 10:12 AM  
Blogger Tiya said...

sorry for that, I could not resist the temptation to make people oh so uncomfortable. muahaha.

11/27/2005 10:13 AM  
Blogger goodbye, goodbye said...

Lords.
I think we are sitting in the ruins of the Tower of Babel.
I suppose the whole city can just up and join with Michael & Sarah & Lee & I in our oh-so-lucrative Puzzle Demolition Corps.

Sodom, Gomorrah & Babel, INCORPORATED.

Eternal huzzahs for painful
philological battles...

Love,
Jessi!

11/27/2005 11:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i agree with adam, pop culture is very important. snobbery is bad.

on that note, i love litcrit. i think it's a lot of fun, although it can be useless or even harmful (see ts eliot, who calls hamlet an "aesthetic failure"). most of the time it's just confusing.

but the best litcrit, and i DO think bloom falls under this category (he has a new one out called yahweh and jesus that i'm dying to read- it was just reviewed in the nytimes), is something that not only lets you see patters and insights you couldn't have found on your own, but also makes you realize more deeply the impact a work might have. bloom, for example, in his definitive text on shakespeare manages to make the argument that our conception of what it is to be human, of what people are supposed to do, of what makes a character full, realistic and true, all comes from shakespeare.

11/27/2005 11:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ps, i LOVE roth.

11/27/2005 11:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

and adam, i love that HURF sound you always make. its so weird and characteristic. (at this point, you'll probably tell me its some strange maryland slang-term that everyone uses. well. i'm not even going to close this parenthesis

11/27/2005 11:14 AM  
Blogger goodbye, goodbye said...

O, Amy!

Roth is driving me mad.
I think that I love Roth, too.
I think that I love Harold Bloom.
(But, again, this probably doesn't count, because it is purely in a physical way.)
He drives me mad as well, because everything is poignant and epic and soaring and all of his doctrines make sense and I find myself mentally castrated and unable to poke holes in his canon.

And maybe, just maybe (and I know. Some of you who may care shall be beginning to celebrate) I am beginning to loosen up and embrace everything that I had formerly condemned.
Yes, Yes.
Television and the internet, too.
Group ethos.
"Hey," and "Alright," and "Guys."
I love everything.
Even "Hurf."

Everything except for brevity.

Is everyone well?
I am becoming steadily angry.
Big Things were supposed to be finished by this point, and I've only myself (and Philip Roth, really) to blame.

11/27/2005 12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home