Saturday, October 15, 2005

Whitman College

Hey guys,

Just got back from Whitman in the deserts of southeastern Washington state. I don't think any of you are applying there, but I'll write something up anyways because it'll contribute to the contributive spirit that we're cultivating.

I went there on a paid trip with about 9 other people. First of all, the surrounding area is all cornfields and dust, but fortunately Whitman's campus is actually very green and vibrant. They have a bunch of interesting stuff--including this climbing wall that was awesome (it had an inverted section) and a very nice, very new library and student union building. The 'best' part was a gigantic field in the area where all the residential housing was (sort of like South 40, but not so consolidated) where people were always tossing a frisbee around or playing football or sommat. At one point out there we managed to get a frisbee game going (just tossing it around in a circle) in which there were more frisbees than people. Amazing, eh? :P

We ate dinner at one of the many southeast Washington wineries. It wasn't anything special, but there was lots of cheese. Have any of you ever read "A Hope in the Unseen?" The kid in that book was there with us. We never talked with him or anything, so whatever.

I stayed overnight with this freshman kid. The first thing he said to me when I met him was "Ok-Hey, listen. I gotta study for this chem test tomorrow so I'm really sorry but I'm going to have to let you just chill in the dorms while I cram." So I got into the dorms and wandered around talking to people for the longest time. Later I went outside with another Seattle kid who came with me. Not too exciting.

The students there are crazy about the school. Genuinely, I think--although I did discover that the kid I was staying with was getting $9 for "hosting" me. Everyone I talked to raved on and on about the place and all this other crap. Including the parties, which is all they really have in the middle of the frickin dustbowl. The second thing my host said to me was "So... what kind of parties do you like?" I said "What?" And he says "OK, let's just put it this way. Do you drink or not?" After I said not, he said "Allright, well we'll have to scrounge around for something else to do tonight then..."

The school is tiny. It's more cozy than Wash U, but also is more disorganized and random. There's no nice little South 40 section or the pink granite uniformity of the main campus. It's all just random, which is what to expect at a college like this, I suppose. It's not bad.

...

In conclusion, I would go here as a safety school. Thank you ladies and gents.

(Happy birthday to everyone.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home